Search Recipes

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Be Mindful of Your Health...

 “You’re never fully dressed without a smile.” ~ Martin Charnin

I pride myself on taking pretty good care of me. I swim regularly, I’m careful what I eat and I take my vitamins daily. I maintain a strong support network. I stay intellectually engaged and connected to my community by not shutting myself away.

Each day I wake up happy to be alive.

This philosophy didn’t happen overnight. I have always been a naturally optimistic person. That’s probably the influence of my Aunt Della who helped raise me.  She was a strong believer in pushing away the negativity and focusing on what you can do in life.

One of the things I can do is to be mindful of my health, both above and below my neck. I try to pay attention to how I treat others as well as how others treat me. I’m not perfect, but I try to be kind while still being responsible. If I let someone take advantage of me, that doesn’t make me feel good about myself. I can’t take the best care of my business or my loved ones if I don’t feel good, both inside and out.

So I air my feelings, rather than keeping them bottled up inside. But I do so in a way that is positive and non-judgmental. I make room for the possibility that someone else might have a better idea.

I take time every day to relax. Relaxation improves the mind, helps the body heal, and is so much healthier than stress and tension.

I read to children.

And, finally, I never forget to laugh, especially at myself. After all, laughter really is the best medicine, don’t you think?

What do you do to keep yourself healthy?

Written by Wally Amos

No comments:

Post a Comment